Friday, February 25, 2011

Comeback

I raced down the steps as the electronic chime rang through the house for the third time -- where is that phone!! The answering machine picked up by the time I reached the family room, and my long distance friend was finishing up her message. Ah-ha! I grabbed it. "I'm here! I'm here!" I hollered into the receiver. Silence. Aw, man!Now I would have to call back, balancing my slim cell phone to my ear to avoid the long-distance charges from our land line. Drat.

Sometimes my life feels like that -- like I'm just about to grab the secret to all my issues and it slips through my fingers. I once attended a cartooning class with my son, and I drew a cartoon of a little girl running down the street as the icecream truck pulls away. Double drat.

But there are also times, thank the good Lord, that life offers a sort of re-do. I've heard this quote several times recently - "every set back is a set up for a comeback." Thank you God, for Your faithfulness is new every morning.

So I am becoming reaquainted with the girl I referenced in the last blog -- maybe not as victorious as I'd like, but she's making progress. Yet I find another bothersome phenomenon -- We cope with life challenging issues by numbing ourselves with a variety of substances and activities. When you stop doing that, those challenging issues resurface, sometimes with a vengance. So here I am, though I have controlled my eating, I find I don't really like the way I interact with those I love the most. Am I better sleepy and chubby? By no means, but wow, is this annoying!

If I could draw a cartoon now, I'd draw a picture of myself staring into the mirror, hair ascew, face blemished and mascara smudged. The caption would read, "I hate it when I feel pretty good about myself until I look in the mirror."

All I can do is quote Matt Maher as he's quoting scripture - "Your grace is enough heaven reaching down to us. Your grace is enough for me...I'm covered in your love." And this is the soundtrack of my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment